How Does One Be More Chill? -A Multi Genre Paper on Be More Chill

Table Of Contents 

-Dear Reader-

-The Beginning-

-Fake Book-

-Apologies-

-The Play-

-The Quentin And Jeremy Show-

-How Does One Be More Chill?-

-Epilogue-

-Explanation of genre-

Dear Reader

In Ned Vizzini novel, Be More Chill, There is a lot of character evolving. Jeremy Heere is a an average high school dork who just wants to “be more chill” to get the attention of Christine Canigula. He decides that he is going to join the play to get closer to her. He decides that he needs help to try and win her over, so he gets a SQUIP. The SQUIP leads him on this journey of heart ache as he was not doing the thing he loves to do.  He discovers the dark sides of handing your life over and changes things up.  He makes a book to show the perspective of  himself and gave it to Christine to show him how sorry he was.
While I was doing this MGP I was trying to get into the perspective of the Protagonist, Jeremy Heere. I made sure that everything I made fit into the theme I had chosen and the novel. It was very fun to do as I got full control on what i wanted to make and how I wanted to present it. I put author notes so you the reader, can understand why i had chosen the genre and how i connected it to the book. So enjoy my multi genre paper and see into the perspective of Jeremy. ~ Chelsea Mandamin-Turner

The Beginning 

Authors Note: This is a advise column, . it is just a short little summary of it is me imitating how Jeremy and the Squip first acted towards each other. Just another little note, I wrote the Squip message like that because, that is how his dialog looks in the book. I couldn’t find the exact font but I feel like I mimicked it pretty well.

Dear 
Squip,

The high school world is a crazy place, which is why I really need your help more than anything right now. Well i like this girl, but she only sees me as this weird kid that joined the play. She has eyes for this guy named Jake. I know  you know by now, I’m not the “coolest”  out of my peers. I don’t fit in with everyone else and that is why I am coming to you. you are my only hope! So, now you have seen the predicament I am in right now, so will you help me? 
Signed, 
Jeremy Heere 

DEAR JEREMY,  
THERE IS A REASON YOU ARE “NOT COOL”, OBVIOUSLY, BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY TO CHANGE THAT. 
THE FIRST STEP IS, YOU HAVE TO FIX ALL THE THINGS I SAY. THAT INCLUDES CLOTHING, SPEECH, POSTURE, MUSIC, ETC. WE MUST MAKE YOU AS MODERN AS POSSIBLE. MODERN IS ACCEPTABLE TO THE YOUTH CULTURE.
YOU WILL SEE A MAJOR CHANGE IN JUST A LITTLE SWITCH. YOU WILL GET NOTICED BY THE ONE YOU DESIRE THE MOST, BUT THAT’S JUST THE START! YOU KNOW EVERYTHING COME AT A PRICE THOUGH RIGHT. BUT THIS IS THE ONLY CHANCE YOU GOT TO GET THE GIRL OF YOUR DREAMS!

WE COULD CHANGE THE WAY EVERYONE THINKS ABOUT YOU. JEREMY, YOU WILL NOT BE THE LONER THAT YOU ARE, YOU WILL BE KNOWN AS THE COOLEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE SCHOOL! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LISTEN TO EVERYTHING I SAY AND BE MORE CHILL. THIS WILL HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL. 
THE ONE AND  ONLY
SQUIP 

Fake Book

Apologies 

Author Note :“Apologies” is a letter created by me in the perspective of the protagonist. I used a character analysis chart to see how Jeremy acts, which is he is very apologetic. This led me to create the letter you are about to read. In this post you will see he wrote a Letter to Christine after the SQUIP (Super Quantum Intel Program) has been turned off, for that time being. I made the letter connect to the books plot as there were rumors that the protagonist, Jeremy, was going to give Christine a love letter. She got upset that he didn’t, which foreshadowed Jeremy making her the book Be More Chill.

The Play

The Quentin and Jeremy show

Authors Note: This is a character conversation that Taryn and I made for our characters Jeremy and Quintin. We made a Voice recording of a  pod cast called The Quentin And Jeremy Show– “Episode 1 Coming of Age” that will be embedded at the end of the actual script.

T: Hi I’m Taryn.
C: And I’m Chelsea and today we are doing a character conversation with Taryn’s Character Quintin, and My Character, Jeremy.

*Intro music*

T: Hi I’m Quintin!
C: And I’m Jeremy and welcome to the Quintin and Jeremy show.

T: Today we will be discussing what is the right way to come of age. In my opinion the best way to come of age is to take risks and step out of your comfort zone. How about you?

C: I don’t really think taking risk can lead to success or evolving. It kinda just mess me up in the process of me becoming a newly evolved person.

T: Well, that your opinion. Anyway In my opinion the reason why taking risk and stepping out of your comfort zone helped me is because I was always following one way to live, which was my parents rules only. And I was one to be very intelligent in my ways of thinking all throughout my school years. Anyways, I feel that once Marco left I started to do a lot absurd things to go and look for her because I felt like a new person after I went out with her that one night. I think she helped me find myself by taking me out that night to take risks. And ever sense then I been feeling I am on top of the world. That is why I think that stepping out of my comfort zone is a good way to come of age.

C: you have a very strong opinion, about taking risks ,but mines more about laughing at yourself later on In life where you can actually see that you evolved because throughout most of my high school years I as pretty un-cool. I found that I used this thing to help me get people to like me and notice me. And it ended up messing  me up. I did stuff that I wouldn’t do if I wasn’t using the squip. At he end of it all I’m going to change things up. My way of life and ended p laughing at how foolish I was.

T: Hmm, I see. Well I think that other people have different ways of growing up or coming of age. Because we both have different opinions. And I’d say people can hop on either side of these opinions and yeah, I think that’s all for today

C: Yes indeed

T: Aaaaannnnddd, see you next time

Together: BYEEEEE

Audio and voice recording >>

How Does One Be More Chill?

Chelsea Mandamin-Turner
Julie Balen
ENG1D/1P
13, June 2018

SOPEO: How do you know you evolved as a person?

Have you ever felt alone? Like an outcast to your fellow peers in the game we call life.  That’s how the protagonist of Be More Chill, Jeremy Heere, Felt. Sure, we are not all stereotypical “nerds”, but at some point, in all our lives, we did feel this way.
In the novel, Jeremy expresses how exhausted he is of getting pushed around by societies rules that he decides that he decides to get a SQUIP. The SQUIP helps him be “chill” but he doesn’t follow the path he intentioned for.  Skip to later in the novel, you will see Jeremy and the SQUIP has made this “fool proof” plan to get Christine to swoon. The SQUIP has an unpredictable failure (Vizzini, 277). Michael comes to talk to Jeremy after all the drama happens. They laughed at the predicament Jeremy has put himself into. They decide to make a book for the high school to show what was going on in Jeremy’s perspective.
This shows me that laughing at yourself and taking risks is an example of knowing you evolved as a person.
First of all, Laughter expresses joy or the overwhelming feeling of happiness. If you are able to look back and laugh at yourself it shows you are accepting the outcomes that lead you to where you are now. Laughter also mean you are having a good time. For example when you look back at humiliating photos and you laugh because you remember the way you acted, dressed, etc. For example, in the book, the protagonist changes the way he dresses talks, poses, acted, etc. He laughed when he looked back on the way he dressed in the squips control. He would wear Eminem shirts and ripped skinny jeans(Vizzini, 120) (you can learn more about this from the song in the musical called “Be More Chill Part 1). You laughed because you are no longer the person you  once were is no longer relevant to the new and improved you.
Secondly, when you laugh at yourself you learned self-acceptance. That is, when you laugh at yourself you are showing you know that what you did prior, is not of relevance anymore. For example, when you look back at the things you did, like you messed up on a speech and worried about all the things you did, then you are thinking about how stupid you were to think that you worried about it. This point connects to the first topic as this is like the beginning phase, acceptance. Accepting that you messed up and are willing to change to make a more evolved person.
Finally, a sense of humor is a way to cope with past experiences. In other words, Humor is therapy for some people. For instance, when you are struggling with stress from a memory that won’t leave your mind, you can use laughter to solve the problem. Laughter is a way to improve the overall well being of a person. I think if we didn’t have laughter we wouldn’t evolve as a whole. Could you imagine a world without laughter? It would be pretty gloomy, and people wouldn’t be able to have a quick and easy stress reliever because there would be no joy for you to feel the magnificent wonders of laughter.
Therefore, Laughing is an example of evolving as a person. We as humans use laughter as an escaping mechanism to accept the past and move on to the future. If we don’t relive the stress that happened because of our old ways then how will this help us? If we don’t relive the stress then we will be to focused on the past instead of looking forward to the new day of learning and experiencing things to come.

Bibliography
Vizzini, Ned, and David Levithan. Be More Chill. Hyperion, 2004.

Epilogue

Learning to be ourselves and laugh at the things we long to be is a part of growing up. You should know that trying to be someone you are not is not taking you to the goal you want to achieve. Acting like someone you are not doesn’t guarantee to fulfill the things you desire most but it is you as a person that should work towards your goal. Be More Chill made me think of the places I want to go and how much me as a person and society hold me back from going to where I want to be. We feel that we must change into the people who are successful to make it somewhere ,but when you are actually in that position you noticed that it is not all sunshine and rainbows for them too. We need to learn to accept who we are and want to be in order to evolve and then later on we can laugh in acknowledgement on how far we have come from our starting point.

Explanation of the Genres.

The Beginning
I made this Advise column just so people can see the kind of Character Jeremy is. It introduces both Jeremy and the SQUIP. I made it like this because of the fact that Jeremy came to the SQUIP for advice on how he can “Be More Chill”.

Fake BookThis ties into the fact that it has a lot of references to “social media controlling our lives” and because it is based of of the early to mid  2000’s I would assume that Facebook was going up in the ratings; As the 2000’s gave it the most recognition. It also ties in to what David Levithan explaining in “Afterwards”, how the internet controls our lives, like how Jeremy is controlled by the SQUIP. He brings up how society changed because of the fact that the internet became a thing.

Apologies
Is a letter from Jeremy to Christine. In the post, you will see he wrote a Letter to Christine after the SQUIP (Super Quantum Intel Program) has been turned off, for that time being. I made the letter connect to the books plot as there were rumors that the protagonist, Jeremy, was going to give Christine a love letter. She got upset that he didn’t, which foreshadowed Jeremy making her the book, Be More Chill.

The Play
This Visual is obviously an advertisement for the school play. The play is a huge role to the book and the protagonist evolving. a quick explanation is that Jeremy is struggling with multiple things like with societal pressure, self pressure and the pressure of the Squip (who is kind of like the antagonist). Well, during the play, Jeremy was doing everything that the Squip was telling him to do. After the Squip made this “fool proof” plan that will get Christine to swoon. The plan was Jeremy was going to play his role and confess his love to Christine when he is suppose to say his characters lines. Well obvious the plan backfired and got Christine upset. He ended up doing some thinking and decided that the best way to make up for what he does is to do it on his own. He became a more evolved version of himself and is now able to look back and laugh at himself.

The Quentin And Jeremy Show
This shows how both of our protagonist act and how alike they actually are even though they have different beliefs. it connects because we talk about the themes of both of our books, coming of age. and as the conversation continues they argue about who is right but come to an agreement later on.

How Does One Be More Chill?
The persuasive essay is showing my beliefs on ” laughing at yourself is an example of coming of age”. I agree and explain my beliefs. it connects to the novel because that is a way Jeremy coped with what happened to him throughout the events of the book.

Work Cited

Mohana, Saulo. “Phone.” <i>Unsplash</i>, unsplash.com/photos/D_kOW7iHNnw.

Vizzini, Ned, and David Levithan. <i>Be More Chill</i>. Hyperion, 2004.